Friday, May 25, 2007

Free Trade and Food Safety

It seems every time I turn around it's a new food scare. First it was the pet food recall, then animal feed and now it's toothpaste?! What gives? In this great system of 'free trade', are all the rules and regulations (or even just the norms of doing business) simply pitched aside and corporate profits really the only concern? I do believe that to be the case. How else to explain that the FDA inspects about 1% of the food stuffs coming from China? It doesn't take a genius to realize that those in the import/export food chain aren't really too concerned about getting caught. I guess that it will take a major food issue that affects people and not only pets on a grand scale to force changes in this globalized system of food trade. I plan to do a series on free trade soon along with its' underlying issues and food safety will be one of the areas I will discuss further in more detail.

No comments: