Thursday, May 24, 2007

So You Say You Are A Cyberbeggar?

You may wonder--how can someone who is a cyberbeggar possibly have a blog that deals with economic issues of any sort? Well, let me tell you. I was at the top of my game a couple of years ago. I did all the things you are 'supposed' to do- graduated from college, worked hard, got a great job in the health care field and bought a house all by the time I was in my early 30's. Kept my economic house in order, paid all of my bills on time and in general was the model 'Tax Paying Citizen'. What happened? Well, foolishly I thought the idea of owning my own business was a great thing to do. You know the lines--work hard, sacrifice and you can create your own future. Blah. Blah. Blah. Long story short. I sold the house and invested the money (and some) to start my own little restaurant. The problem was the 'and some' as this was financed with credit cards. No problem I told myself- the profits will be used exclusively to pay these off and then go on. One thing I didn't plan on in this great global economy of ours was that with the decline in disposable income, businesses such as mine have been affected. With decreased projections, this credit card 'financing scheme' has not turned out to be one of my own best decisions. The business does well (although I had higher expectations of the market) but these damn credit cards and high interest rates eat a significant portion of my revenues. I know some will say that I was crazy to try this scheme at all. Fine- we all make mistakes (mine was great, I agree) but I want to talk here about the underlying issues that we have today in the domestic and world economies and the political decisions being made that are important to all of us. No I'm not an economist but I do know what does and does not impact my financial life.

No comments: